Arne Slot was unconcerned by Trent Alexander-Arnold's negative response to being substituted in Liverpool's 2-0 victory over Brentford.
Slot, who otherwise had a fantastic competitive debut in charge, spoke to a plainly dejected Alexander-Arnold on the bench after the England defender was replaced by Conor Bradley in the 72nd minute.It came only moments after Mohamed Salah extended Liverpool's advantage following Luis Diaz's opener, although Slot denied any disagreement with Alexander-Arnold, who represented England at Euro 2024.
"He didn't look that happy being taken off, I understand," Slot told me. "Every player wants to play 90 minutes, but I don't think the players on the bench from the start were pleased with the decision I made."
"But Trent returned from the national team, where he played a lot at the start of the tournament, then stopped, took a few weeks off, and returned - this was just his third game.
"He didn't look that happy being taken off, I understand," Slot told me. "Every player wants to play 90 minutes, but I don't think the players on the bench from the start were pleased with the decision I made."
"But Trent returned from the national team, where he played a lot at the start of the tournament, then stopped, took a few weeks off, and returned - this was just his third game.
"We have to take care of him because we need him throughout the season, not just the first two games. The good news for me is that I have Conor as a solid backup. That indicates we're taking care of Trent, but he played well.
Diaz completed a quick breakaway inside the first quarter of an hour, before Salah scored for the second week in a row in the 70th minute, having previously scored in their season-opening victory over Ipswich.
While a pair of victories and clean sheets delighted Slot, the Dutchman is aware that more difficult tests await him, beginning next weekend at Manchester United.
Diaz completed a quick breakaway inside the first quarter of an hour, before Salah scored for the second week in a row in the 70th minute, having previously scored in their season-opening victory over Ipswich.
While a pair of victories and clean sheets delighted Slot, the Dutchman is aware that more difficult tests await him, beginning next weekend at Manchester United.
"Two good wins against difficult opponents," Slot told me. "But we still have a lot to show with the rest of the season ahead of us.
"Both Ipswich and Brentford deserve respect for the way they've played against us but I'm not expecting the two to be in the top six at the end of the season."
Slot was greeted warmly at Anfield and serenaded in the final stages, with Liverpool owner John W. Henry flying in from the United States for the event.
Slot did not give Jurgen Klopp fist pumps to the Kop at full-time, instead waving and clapping as he walked onto the pitch to celebrate a job well done.
"Both Ipswich and Brentford deserve respect for the way they've played against us but I'm not expecting the two to be in the top six at the end of the season."
Slot was greeted warmly at Anfield and serenaded in the final stages, with Liverpool owner John W. Henry flying in from the United States for the event.
Slot did not give Jurgen Klopp fist pumps to the Kop at full-time, instead waving and clapping as he walked onto the pitch to celebrate a job well done.
"The reception of the fans was similar to the reception I got from the people in and around the area and the people that are working for Liverpool," Slot observed.
"I cannot answer for all of the managers, but I believe they would all tell you the same thing: every manager that comes in here feels the warmth of this club and the fans' affection.
"The most important (thing) we have to do as managers is make sure the team plays in a style the fans like to see and that's what we're trying and the boys showed that."
"I cannot answer for all of the managers, but I believe they would all tell you the same thing: every manager that comes in here feels the warmth of this club and the fans' affection.
"The most important (thing) we have to do as managers is make sure the team plays in a style the fans like to see and that's what we're trying and the boys showed that."
Brentford manager Thomas Frank has left out England striker Ivan Toney for the second week in a row, fueling speculation that he will go to Saudi Arabia in the coming days.
When asked if Toney is any closer to leaving the Bees, Frank replied: "I don't know." The transfer window closes on Friday at 11 p.m. He trained all week, with a positive mindset.
"I'm always pleased when the window is closed. Then we don't have to speak about ifs, buts, whens, and possibly a lot of players, and, of course, Ivan. It's all about Ivan."
Without Toney, Brentford lacked a cutting edge, with captain Christian Norgaard missing an unguarded header in front of goal and Nathan Collins stopped by Alisson Becker.
"I think we went toe-to-toe with Liverpool, especially in the first half, it was pretty even, which I'm quite delighted with," he said."
"We definitely had our finest first half at Anfield in the four years I've been here. Liverpool won fairly, although there are some excellent aspects, particularly in the first 60 minutes.
When asked if Toney is any closer to leaving the Bees, Frank replied: "I don't know." The transfer window closes on Friday at 11 p.m. He trained all week, with a positive mindset.
"I'm always pleased when the window is closed. Then we don't have to speak about ifs, buts, whens, and possibly a lot of players, and, of course, Ivan. It's all about Ivan."
Without Toney, Brentford lacked a cutting edge, with captain Christian Norgaard missing an unguarded header in front of goal and Nathan Collins stopped by Alisson Becker.
"I think we went toe-to-toe with Liverpool, especially in the first half, it was pretty even, which I'm quite delighted with," he said."
"We definitely had our finest first half at Anfield in the four years I've been here. Liverpool won fairly, although there are some excellent aspects, particularly in the first 60 minutes.

Comments
Post a Comment