What Morgan Rogers did to our midfield should not be repeated.
The dust has cleared on Arsenal's statement win against Aston Villa last night, in a game where we needed to get one over a team that had caused us issues last season. A two-nil victory was ensured by to second-half efforts from Leandro Trossard and Thomas Partey.Even if I believe we were not convincing during the victory, it was a positive indicator that we found a way to win, as all excellent teams do. However, one area where I believe we suffered throughout the game was in midfield, with Morgan Rogers being the primary cause.
He simply drove us ragged at times with his directness and strength, which I believe caught us off guard when engaging in duels. Partey, who had been in excellent form throughout preseason and the first game of the new season, struggled against him in particular, but it was the way Declan Rice was handled a couple times that shocked me.
He simply drove us ragged at times with his directness and strength, which I believe caught us off guard when engaging in duels. Partey, who had been in excellent form throughout preseason and the first game of the new season, struggled against him in particular, but it was the way Declan Rice was handled a couple times that shocked me.
I recognize the player's undeniable talent, but we just cannot let him do that to us on a daily basis given how cruel this league can be. Mikel Merino, a duel-winning machine, is set to be officially confirmed this week, which could help us in games where we are losing the midfield battle.
Nonetheless, the win should help to mitigate any negative aspects of the game; it's nothing to be concerned about, given that I believe the team will quickly return to the training field to address any concerns we encountered during the game.
I need you gooners to offer me your opinions. Was Morgan Rogers' display against our midfield something Arteta should worry about?

Comments
Post a Comment