Ellie Roebuck made her Barcelona debut and first match in 303 days.
She started in a 4-1 win over Betis, but was unable to keep a clean sheet.This follows her announcement on March 30th, 2024, that she had a stroke.
She declared in an Instagram update that she had not played for her former team, Manchester City, all season.
Ellie Roebuck stated, "I have had a left occipital infarction." Fortunately, there is no permanent impairment to my brain function or vision. After expert appointments, tests, and the assistance of the club's medical team, I'm on the mend.
"It's been a terrible period. Life can throw unexpected hurdles at you, and if this year has taught me anything, it's that I'm strong and will give it my all for what I'm most passionate about."
The Lioness was a member of the history squad that won the women's UEFA Euros at Wembley in 2022, but she did not play a single minute of the competition.
She brought her office back to the pitch after 19 months, but she was unable to keep the clean sheet at the last minute. Yasmine Zouhir scored a 90th-minute consolation goal for the Catalans.
Ellie Roebuck made her debut on Barcelona's Instagram, saying: "I'm very happy to make my debut. Make sure to come and watch us play Manchester City. I appreciate your assistance.
She mentioned on social media after the match that her goal was always to play the game she loved. Playing for Barcelona was a dream that seemed unachievable at times.
She began to think on her trip and express gratitude to everyone who had helped her along the road.
She stated: "Nothing will ever beat this feeling."
Her England teammates swiftly expressed gratitude on social media for this pivotal event in her career.
Mary Earps, who represents the goalkeeper union, wrote on Instagram, "I'm so happy for you, my friend!" It's well deserved. Tough circumstances do not last, but tough individuals do.
Steph Houghton, her former captain, joined her in celebrating Roebuck's comeback.
The current City captain, Alex Greenwood, posted on Instagram, "Things you love to see. Ellie Roebuck is back. What a ride this has been. I'm so proud of you. Enjoy the moment."
Fellow lioness and Barca player Keira Walsh has said she is pleased to share the pitch again with her ex-city teammate.
The support didn't stop there. Katie Zelem, Georgia Stanway, and Lotte Wuben-Moy all reposted Roebuck’s Instagram post about this significant moment in her career.
The next Champions League game for Barcelona will be against Hammarby in midweek, followed by a match against Valencia the next weekend.
Barcelona is presently atop Liga F, having won all 12 games.
She will play her former squad, Manchester City, on December 18th, after a stunning 2-0 loss in early October.



Comments
Post a Comment