Marcelo, a former Brazilian football player, has announced his retirement at the age of 36.
The defender, who won 25 championships, including five Champions Leagues, in 546 matches for Real Madrid over a 16-year period, has opted to retire after returning to his first club Fluminense, which has renamed their academy stadium in his honor.Marcelo, who has 58 caps, stated in a video shared on his official X account that his love of football stems from his grandfather. He wanted me to be a professional football player and tried everything he could to make it happen.
"At 18, Real Madrid knocked on my door, and I came here. Now I can proudly say that I am a genuine Madrileño. I've raised a family here with my wife.
"Sixteen seasons, 25 titles, five Champions Leagues, one of the captains, and countless unforgettable nights at the Bernabeu. What a journey. Real Madrid is a distinct club. Madridismo is an ineffable feeling.
"Playing for my country since the youth levels has also been a wonderful honor. I will always remember two Olympic medals and a Confederations Cup.
"Returning to Fluminense meant giving back to the club what they had given me, helping them win three trophies, including the Copa Libertadores, and leaving a legacy for future generations with the Marcelo Vieira Stadium.
"My playing career has come to an end, but I still have a lot to offer football. "Thank you for everything."
Madrid president Florentino Perez referred to Marcelo, who departed the club for Olympiacos in the summer of 2022, as "one of our greatest legends".
Perez stated on the club's official website: "(He is) one of the greatest left-backs in Real Madrid and world football history, and we had the privilege of watching him for a long time."
"He is one of our greatest legends and Real Madrid is and always will be his home."


Comments
Post a Comment